visit tracker on tumblr


“Insured Persons” doesn’t mention Spectators. Are we covered if a spectator is injured?

A spectator who is injured cannot make a claim on the Sports Personal Injury policy. If a spectator was injured and decided to seek damages from the club alleging the club’s negligence, then the General Liability policy would respond. Important, you must not admit Liability without the Insurers consent.  Any claim made by a spectator must be referred to the Insurer as soon as possible for their instructions.


Why can’t I claim my Doctors bills on this policy?

Unfortunately the Health Insurance Act 1973 does not allow a policy of this type to cover expenses for which any Medicare rebate is made.

126 Prohibition of certain medical insurance

(1)  A person shall not make a contract of insurance with another person that contains a provision purporting to make the first‑mentioned person liable to make a payment in the event of the incurring by the other person of a liability to pay medical expenses in respect of the rendering in Australia of a professional service for which Medicare benefit is, or but for subsection 18(4) would be, payable.

Medical expenses for which there is no benefit payable by Medicare are still claimable. These include Ambulance, Physio, Private Hospital Accommodation and Dental amongst others.


I earn more than $250 per week. How can I get covered for my full weekly salary?

Gow Gates and FFA recognise that The FFA National Insurance Programme benefits are not designed to be comprehensive for all members of the football community. It is strongly recommended that you consider the benefits in line with your current circumstances.

Top-Up benefits are available for the Loss of Income benefits. This allows you to increase the weekly benefits to better suit your circumstances.

Gow-Gates Financial Services can also provide advice on an Income Protection policy, which can provide cover for injuries that occur playing football and in your day to day life.

For further information, please contact Gow-Gates.


I work part time, am I entitled to Loss of Wage cover?

Under the Sports Personal Injury policy, you can claim for Loss of Wages if you work part time as long as you can demonstrate consistent earnings over the 12 months prior to the injury.


Our local council has asked to be included as an Insured party under our Liability insurance, can this be done?

Council’s cannot be noted as a named Insured on the Policy. They can be listed as an interested party on Certificates of Currency, which is a legal document that demonstrates you have Public Liability Insurance.   Please click here to request a Certificate of Currency for your Public Liability policy.


Do Players need to be registered to be covered?



Are players covered whilst touring overseas?

The FFA National Insurance Programme extends to cover insured players and officials whilst overseas for representative and/or club matches as long as all players and officials are registered with FFA Clubs and the tour is officially sanctioned by FFA or State Member Federation and the Host Federation. In addition to the standard benefits of the policy, there is a $100,000 overseas medical expenses and repatriation benefit.
Although the policy covers persons whilst overseas, we recommend that Travel Insurance be effected for all players and officials to compliment the cover provided.  Travel Insurance policies generally provide high limits of medical expense coverage as well as other covers such as baggage, money, loss of deposits, emergency assistance etc.

If required we can arrange travel insurance for the touring party with which compliments the existing Sports Injury coverage and does not exclude injuries resulting from Football. To arrange a quote please contact Gow-Gates.


Will I be covered if playing for my school?

The FFA National Insurance Programme provides cover to registered participants within the scope of cover:

a.     Playing in official club or representative matches.

b.     Engaged in organised training

c.     Traveling directly to, from or between official matches or training and your home or work.

d.     Staying away from your home district for the purpose of participating in representative or club matches

e.     Engaged in administrative or organised social activities for your club or federation.

Matches for schools who are not playing in FFA competitions do not fit within that scope of cover.

If you belong to a school team who plays in FFA Member Federations competitions then you are covered under the FFA programme.


Who can I talk to about an issue or complaint?

First talk to Sportscover Australia, ask for underwriting or claims staff for FFA National Insurance Programme.

If this does not resolve the matter or You are not satisfied with the way a complaint has been dealt with, You should write to:

Lloyd’s Underwriters’ General Representative in Australia
Suite 2, Level 21
Angel Place
123 Pitt Street
Sydney    NSW 2000

Telephone Number:  (02) 9223 1433
Facsimile Number:  (02) 9223 1466

If Your dispute remains unresolved You may be referred to the Insurance Ombudsman Service Limited under the terms of the General Insurance Code of Practice.  For other disputes You will be referred to other proceedings for resolution.  Details are available from Lloyd’s Underwriters’ General Representative in Australia at the address above.



Football Risk Management

Have you downloaded our Risk Management App?

The app is available to Affiliated Clubs within the FFA National Insurance programme.

This app includes risk management resources that clubs can complete and store without the burden of having to make paperwork available for ground managers or storing completed documents. The app provides a guide to some of the areas where risks are present that can then be identified and actions proposed to mitigate the impacts of potential incidents or injuries.