visit tracker on tumblr

What is Covered?

NSWJRL Insurance Plan

The NSWJRL Insurance Plan actually consists of four coverage areas:

  • Sports Personal Injury
  • Sports Public and Products Liability
  • Sports Professional Indemnity
  • Club Management Liability

Details of the above policies can be found under each of the tabs above. The below information details who is covered under the plan and for what activities they are covered.

Who is Covered?

The plan defines the Insured as:

  • NSW Junior Rugby Leagues Association Incorporated and Districts as listed below and their affiliated clubs
    • Balmain Junior Rugby League Football Club Inc.
    • Canterbury-Bankstown District Junior Rugby Football League Inc.
    • Cronulla Sutherland District Junior Rugby Football league Incorporated
    • Manly-Warringah District Junior Rugby Football League Incorporated
    • North Sydney District Junior Rugby League Football Inc.
    • Parramatta District Junior Rugby League Club Inc.
    • Penrith and Districts Junior Rugby League Limited
    • St George Junior Rugby Football League Inc.
    • Sydney Roosters District Junior Rugby League Incorporated
    • Western Suburbs District Junior Rugby League Limited
    • and additionally Canberra District Minor Rugby League Inc.

In addition the plan extends to provide coverage to the following Insured Persons:

  • Players
  • Coaches
  • Trainers
  • Managers
  • Administrators
  • Voluntary workers
  • Selectors
  • Referees
  • Touch judges
  • Ball boys
  • Medical officers
  • Physiotherapists
  • Ambulance officers
  • Directors
  • Employees
  • Executive officers
  • Office bearers
  • Members
  • Committees

Therefore, cover is provided to all the above members of the NSW Junior Rugby League community under the NSWJRL Insurance Plan

The NSWJRL Insurance Plan does not extend to cover participation in Sydney Shield, NSW Cup or other competitions which do not fall under the jurisdiction of the NSW Junior Rugby Leagues Association.

When are you covered?

Cover is provided under the Sports Personal Injury section to the above insured persons whilst:

  1. Playing in official matches.
  2. Engaged in organised training
  3. Travelling directly to, from or between official matches or training and your home or work.
  4. Staying away from your home district for the purpose of participating in representative or club matches
  5. Engaged in administrative or organised social activities for your club or league.
  6. playing for the insured person’s school team

Under the Public & Products Policy section coverage is provided:

“For liabilities arising out of the Insured’s Sporting Activities”.

“Sporting Activities” means the activities of a club, association, or other insured entity playing or administering Rugby League.

It includes all official activities connected with the sport including club social and fund raising activities.

It does not include the activities of a Licensed Club. “Licensed Club” means a commercial premises with a liquor license, used by members and guests. A clubhouse or sports pavilion with a liquor license will not be deemed a Licensed Club.

Further, the policy also covers liability arising from leasing or hiring out of premises owned or tenanted by the club to other parties. However certain practices must be followed:

  • You must ensure that premises are well maintained and checked prior to hiring out
  • there must be a written lease agreement between you and the hirer which requires the hirer to be responsible for personal injury or property damage caused during the lease unless such injury or damage is as a result of your negligence
  • The hirer must hold a Public Liability policy for a minimum of $10,000,000 per occurrence and must submit a Certificate of Currency to you.
  • Following completion of the lease/hire you must complete a routine check that the premises are safe and ensure that any necessary risk management initiatives are undertaken prior to the re-letting of the premises.

In Summary, in order to lodge a claim under the NSWJRL Insurance Plan you must be an Insured Person engaged in an Insured Sporting Activity to be able to lodge a claim.

Examples of Insured Persons engaged in Insured Sporting Activities under the Sports Personal Accident policy include:

A registered player injured in an official match

A coach injured at an official training session

A Parent injured whilst working in the canteen

The parent would be considered a Co-Opted Volunteer and they would be considered to be engaged in an administrative activity of the club.

A Spectator injured whilst watching the match

Spectators are not “insured persons” and cannot claim under the Sports Personal Injury policy. The Club is protected under the Public Liability Policy in the event that it could be found to be legally liable for personal injury sustained to a spectator or third party.