“Insured Persons” doesn’t mention Spectators. Are we covered if a spectator is injured?

“Insured Persons” doesn’t mention Spectators. Are we covered if a spectator is injured?
Spectators are not listed as an insured person on the plan. As such, a spectator who is injured can not make a claim on the Sports Personal Injury policy. Clubs are noted as insureds on the policy. Therefore if a spectator was injured and decided to seek damages from the club alleging the club’s negligence, then the Public Liability policy would respond.

Why can’t I claim my Doctors bills on this policy?

Unfortunately, the Health Insurance Act 1973 does not allow an insurance company other than a registered Health Fund Insurer (i.e. Medibank Private, Bupa, NIB, HCF etc.)  to cover expenses for which any Medicare rebate is made.

126 Prohibition of certain medical insurance

(1)  A person shall not make a contract of insurance with another person that contains a provision purporting to make the firstmentioned person liable to make a payment in the event of the incurring by the other person of a liability to pay medical expenses in respect of the rendering in Australia of a professional service for which Medicare benefit is, or but for subsection 18(4) would be, payable.

Medical expenses for which there is no benefit payable by Medicare are still generally claimable. Some examples of these include Ambulance, Physio, Private Hospital Accommodation and Dental.

Our local council has asked to be included as an Insured party under our Liability insurance, can this be done?

We are able to note the interests of a property owner on Certificates of Currency for their vicarious liability. Please click here to request a Certificate of Currency for your Public Liability policy and for additional information.

Do Players need to be registered to be covered?

Yes. All participants (players, coaches and officials) must be appropriately registered in line with ARU requirements in order to obtain insurance coverage.

Are players covered whilst touring overseas?

The ARU Insurance Plan extends to cover insured players and officials whilst overseas for representative and/or club matches as long as all players and officials are registered and the tour is officially sanctioned by ARU and the Host Union.

Although the policy covers persons whilst overseas, we recommend that Travel Insurance be effected for all players and officials to compliment the cover provided.  Travel Insurance policies generally provide high limits of medical expense coverage as well as other covers such as baggage, money, loss of deposits, emergency assistance etc.

If required we can arrange travel insurance for the touring party with which compliments the existing Sports Injury coverage and does not exclude injuries resulting from Rugby. To arrange a quote please contact Gow-Gates.

Will I be covered if playing for my school?

The ARU Insurance Plan provides cover to registered participants within the scope of cover:

a.    Playing in official club or representative matches.
b.    Engaged in organised training
c.    Traveling directly to, from or between official matches or training and your home or work.
d.    Staying away from your home district for the purpose of participating in representative or club matches
e.    Engaged in administrative or organised social activities for your club or federation.

Matches for schools who are not playing in ARU competitions do not fit within that scope of cover.

If you belong to a school team who plays in ARU competitions then you may be covered under the ARU plan – please refer to your school for confirmation.

Who can I talk to about an issue or complaint?

First talk to SLE Worldwide Australia Pty Ltd. Level 11, 56 Clarence Street, Sydney NSW 2000.

If the matter cannot be resolved, it will be referred to SLE’s internal disputes resolution representative.

If SLE is unable to resolve the matter, you can contact Lloyds Underwriters General Representative in Ausralia. Level 9, 1 O’Connell Street Sydney NSW 2000

If the matter cannot be resolved internally, SLE or Lloyds will provide you with details of the Financial Ombudsman Service (FOS) – an independent external dispute resolution body.

Is ambulance cover included under the Policy?

Yes, Ambulance is considered a Non-Medicare Medical Expense. Therefore it is claimable under the ARU Sports Personal Injury cover. If you are only claiming for Ambulance and not any other expenses, there is no excess. As there is no excess, if you are only claiming for Ambulance transport, there should be no out of pocket expense for this Ambulance transport. We encourage all players with serious injuries to be transported by ambulance as a good risk management practice.

If claiming for Ambulance amongst other Non-Medicare Medical Expenses, the normal terms and conditions (including excesses) apply.

Are overseas players covered for insurance?

Special consideration should be given in regard to registered players who are not Australian citizens; permanent Australian residents; or residents and citizens of countries with reciprocal health care agreements.

Although they will be eligible for claims under the Non Medicare Medical Expense of the ARU’s Sports Injury policy, they may not be protected (depending on their individual circumstance) under Medicare thus there could be substantial medical expenses uninsured and/or non recoverable.

Please click here for more details.

Rugby Risk Management

Have you downloaded our Risk Management App?

Affiliated Clubs and Associations within the ARU Insurance Plan now have access to the Gow-Gates Sport iPhone app.

This app includes risk management resources that clubs can complete and store without the burden of having to make paperwork available for ground managers or storing completed documents.